While on campus, students attending McKeel Academy of Technology are required to dress appropriately. All uniform clothing must be purchased from the MAT Clothes Closet, Risse Brothers website or from the Risse Brothers Uniform Store. Anyone needing financial assistance in obtaining uniforms should contact their School Counselor.
Risse Brothers Lakeland
West Lakeland Business Park
2525 Drane Field Rd, Suite 11
Lakeland, FL 33811
Parents, we invite you to partner with us to ensure that your student abides by the dress code. Criticism and negative communication regarding these rules creates an unwillingness to comply in children. We want to ensure that the dress code does not become a major issue at MAT. The dress code is NOT optional. We are here to provide an exceptional educational experience for all students. Students are expected to comply with the dress code and parents are expected to monitor compliance before their children leave home.
Students with uncorrectable dress code issues (torn, ripped or cut clothing, no belt, improper uniform, hair violations, inappropriate shoes, etc.) will be required to go to the office. Once in the office, the student will be required to change into appropriate uniform clothing. Students will have to call home to have appropriate uniform clothing brought to them OR parents can purchase a used clothes closet item (shirt, pants, shorts, skorts or new belt) online for $10. If parents are unable to provide or purchase the item immediately, the school will provide the item to the student and the charge will appear on the student’s account. The student will return to class once the uniform violation is corrected.
Student Identification Badges
Student identification badges will be provided to all students to ensure safety and security of students and staff. Students are expected to have their ID card with them at all times. This ID will also be used when purchasing items in the cafeteria. Lost ID cards can be repurchased through the McKeel Online Office for $5.
Full-time MAT Students with 4 or more AP or Dual Enrollment courses per semester
Students may wear “McKeel” spirit, club, team or “McKeel M” shirts with uniform bottoms or regular blue jeans.
Must wear a McKeel “M” polo Monday - Thursday and can wear blue jeans Monday - Friday.
Students may wear “McKeel” spirit, club or team shirts with uniform bottoms. For a charge of $1 ($35 for the year), students are permitted to wear blue jeans, blue jean capris or blue jean skirts worn well below the knee (designs, holes, rips, decorative tattering, sequins, metal beading, laces, etc are not permitted). No reimbursement will occur.
Occasionally administration allows students to wear professional dress at school. The following will be strictly enforced: Shirts must be tucked in and belts are to be worn, if appropriate. Males should wear dress pants along with a tucked in collared shirt and tie. Females should wear dress slacks or skirts along with a dressy blouse or they may opt to wear a dress. The hemline of skirts or dresses shall be no shorter than 3” above the knee.
Undershirts & Long-Sleeved Shirts
If worn, are allowed to be solid white or navy blue without logos, designs, or writing seen through the collar or through the uniform shirt.
Sweaters, Sweatshirts, Jackets & Hoodies
Must be solid navy blue or solid gray or have an official “McKeel” logo. Hoods on jackets should not be worn on the head while on campus. Jackets/Hoodies must not exceed the length of the skorts/shorts.
Piercings, Body Jewelry and Tattoos
The ears are the only pierced location allowed. No facial piercings of any other location are allowed at school. Visible body jewelry and/or tattoos are not permitted.
Hats & Sunglasses
May not be worn inside any school building and will be confiscated if violation occurs.
Any accessory (earrings, rings, bracelets, necklaces, grills, etc.) considered extreme or distracting to the educational process is not allowed.
Tights & Leggings
White or navy blue may be worn.
Additional Unacceptable Uniform Issues
Any clothing associated with gangs, clothing encouraging the use of tobacco, drugs, alcohol, or violence and/or clothing associated with discrimination on the basis of age, race, handicap, national origin, marital status, religion, political affiliation, or sex will not be permitted.
Cold Weather Dress
Students and parents will be notified, in advance, if students will be allowed to wear blue jeans and heavy jackets or coats due to predicted cold temperature. An announcement will be made in school, information will be posted on the McKeel Academy website (www.mckeelacademy.com), and on the McKeel Facebook page. Students without a “heavy” jacket or coat can layer appropriate “optional apparel” to stay warm. On cold weather dress days, IF the student opts to wear a hoodie, it MUST be solid navy blue or solid gray and/or have an official “McKeel” logo. NO other hoodies are allowed.
Dress for rewards, field trips, team activities, special events, or spirit week
Team coach, club sponsor or school designee will determine and announce the dress code guidelines for these events. Homecoming shirts must be pre-approved by administration before ordering and distributing.
Sports Team Game-Day Clothing
Each sports team will have designated Game-Day jerseys or shirts allowed to be worn with uniform bottoms, only on game days, to encourage awareness of and attendance to games. Cheerleaders and Dazzlers may wear their designated Game-Day shirt and school uniform bottoms only on performance days.
Uniforms must be worn appropriately as follows:
- All skorts/pants/shorts must be worn at the waist.
- Shirts are to be tucked in at all times, not rolled under.
- Skorts/shorts/pants are not permitted to be rolled up at the waist or at the hemline and must be mid-thigh or longer.
- Hoodies or jackets may not exceed the length of the shorts/skorts.
- Belts must be visible and fastened properly with a buckle.
- Visible body writing and/or tattoos are not permitted.
- PE shorts and/or non-uniform apparel should not be visible underneath a student's uniform.
- No clothing displaying brand logos, other than McKeel logos, and no clothing that is torn or tattered will be permitted.
Pants/Shorts/Skorts (please note skirts are not allowed)
- Must be navy blue, khaki or McKeel Academy Plaid.
- Shorts and skorts hemlines should reach mid-thigh or lower.
- Shirts - Can be navy blue, hunter green, or white. Seniors may wear red. Must be McKeel “M” logo polo shirt. Must fit the student so they remain tucked in at all times.
- Must have a closed toe and heel. No sandals, flip-flops, crocs, slides, or slippers may be worn at any time.
- No open toe or open heel shoes.
- Must be worn through belt loops and fastened properly. Belts must have a buckle.
- Must appear in a naturally occurring color.
- Should be cut so that hair does not fall below the student’s eyebrow.
- Extreme or distracting hairstyles (hair carvings, eyebrow cuts, mohawks, faux-hawks, etchings, etc.) are not permitted.
- P.E. uniforms are purchased from McKeel, worn only in P.E., and may not be altered.